Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /homepages/20/d242466440/htdocs/phpBB3/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)

Strict Standards: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /homepages/20/d242466440/htdocs/phpBB3/viewtopic.php on line 927

Strict Standards: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /homepages/20/d242466440/htdocs/phpBB3/viewtopic.php on line 927
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3550: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3551: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3552: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Keirsey.com • View topic - Sir Alec Guinness tried to warn James Dean

Sir Alec Guinness tried to warn James Dean

Discussion of Famous and Infamous Personalities and their actions, real or imagined

Sir Alec Guinness tried to warn James Dean

Postby brian423 on Thu May 12, 2011 1:24 pm

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.
—Sir Alec Guinness as Jedi master Obi-Wan Kenobi in Star Wars

Thus does Kenobi, one of Guinness' most celebrated roles, report his clairvoyance of the evil Galactic Empire's destruction of the planet Alderaan. Keirsey.com identifies the actor as a Counselor Idealist, suggesting that he was capable of Jedi-like flashes of mysterious insight in his real life as well:

[The Counselor] has strong empathic abilities and can become aware of another's emotions or intentions—good or evil—even before that person is conscious of them. Such mind-reading can take the form of feeling the hidden distress or illnesses of others to an extent which is difficult for other types to comprehend. Even INFJs can seldom tell how they came to penetrate others' feelings so keenly. Furthermore, the Counselor is most likely of all the types to demonstrate an ability to understand psychic phenomena. What is known as "ESP" may well be exceptional intuitive ability—in both its forms, projection and introjection. Such supernormal intuition is found frequently in INFJs, and can extend to people, things, and often events, taking the form of visions, episodes of foreknowledge, premonitions, auditory and visual images of things to come, as well as uncanny communications with certain individuals at a distance.
Please Understand Me II

Naturally, I couldn't help thinking of the above passage when I stumbled on this anecdote in the Wikipedia article about the reckless, speed-loving Artisan actor James Dean:

When Dean introduced himself to actor Alec Guinness outside a restaurant, he asked him to take a look at [his Porsche] Spyder. Guinness thought the car appeared "sinister" and told Dean: "If you get in that car, you will be found dead in it by this time next week." This encounter took place on September 23, 1955, seven days before Dean's death.

Psychic phenomena are scientifically controversial to say the least. Perhaps they should be, but Guinness reportedly made an accurate call nonetheless.

I've been thinking about this story since I've been feeling compelled to do something risky. Do any of you Counselors or other Idealists have something to tell me? I know I'm not as badass as Dean was, but it might still pay for me to listen carefully if you do.

Om Gam Ganapataye Namaha: a mantra of devotion to the pot-bellied, elephant-headed god Ganesha, Whom I love. >:L< (Avatar image credit: AriHoMa.)
User avatarUser Temperament
brian423

Re: Sir Alec Guinness tried to warn James Dean

Postby Goodrum on Thu May 12, 2011 3:10 pm

You reminded me about Dean's friend Monty Roberts, (thankyou!).

Well, school drop off/pickup times can be hairy, busy times (if anything like Australian larger schools). There are a higher incidence of accidents, cars,adults and kids involved..I would be concerned about an added 'distraction'-(yes, it's difficult to tell what role you are playing here), but it's likely if you were protesting near schools here the Police would ask you to move on. They wouldn't necessarily take issue with the 'message' as such as the physical presence/distraction to road safety..

The other thing is your impact, understand I am appreciative for the intro to Grace, (am getting her book), if I was a kid there I would just be wary of you, especially if you were ranting at my dad. (Keep in mind I already am familiar my father's habits/temperament), but you are an unknown, who knows (as a kid) what you are capable of? Plus, you 'sound' angry. Nobody is denying you to sound angry, but how do you think that comes across to kids?

The point of that is your message, (no matter how well intended or valid) can be distorted by the way you may, (or may not) be presenting it to be heard.

I don't have any psychic reverberations for your wellbeing, but I have concerns for effectiveness of getting a message through/across/highlighted.

Personally, (and we can only be our own person, make our own choices), if I felt so strongly, so scarred, so adamant about an issue I would want to find a means for the best possible affect, outcome, changes..I would have my happy little arse into whatever-it-takes, (most effective outcome-wise)-the-hell-it-is to improve something..if that makes sense. And, also, in some parts of the world, kids are delighted to get 'education' via schools, via the traditional way, (yes, that doesn't make it right), but it is opening the door to opportunity and they grasp it both hands.

It's my understanding Dean was driving recklessly and dangerously, putting himself at great risk, his passenger and other road users. You want to play race car drivers get yourself on a racetrack and burn it up, speeding drivers on our roads kill innocent people. I'm no psychic.
I would start with stripping down to what fundamentally informs my life, which is that I'm a seeker on the path...where I stand spiritually is, steadfastly, on a path about love.. (Bell Hooks)
User avatarUser Temperament
Goodrum
Personologist
Personologist

Return to Famous Personalities