Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /homepages/20/d242466440/htdocs/phpBB3/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)

Strict Standards: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /homepages/20/d242466440/htdocs/phpBB3/viewtopic.php on line 927

Strict Standards: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /homepages/20/d242466440/htdocs/phpBB3/viewtopic.php on line 927
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3550: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3551: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3552: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Keirsey.com • View topic - Obama: What are the possibilities?

Obama: What are the possibilities?

Thoughts on Keirsey Temperament

Obama: What are the possibilities?

Postby keirsey on Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:19 pm

I have a favorite joke about politicians.

A bus of politicians crash into tree in the country. The local farmer goes out to see the crash. He comes back; his friend asks him whether there were any alive? The farmer replied: “Well, a couple of them said so, but you know politicians, they always lie.”

The season of religion politics (left or right) is somewhat over. Obama won, and the Republicans are in the wilderness. So now the question is: what is Barack Obama’s character type? We will have least four years to watch what he does.

My colleagues and I have convinced ourselves that Barack Obama is a Mastermind Rational. My guess is based on my impression while reading his book, Audacity of Hope, and listening to Dreams of My Father, Obama autobiographical CD, and observing him for the past two years as a politician.

Political behavior is not the best kind of human action to figure out what kind of Temperament and Character a particular person is. Politics is very much like acting, it does not pay to be sincere, honest, or tell it like it is. But the more we observe the individual, the more his Temperament might shine through, if one looks (without too much of the observer's bias).

Just recently I have a wondered whether I was correct in Obama being a Mastermind Rational. Some people say: Idealist. Some people say: Artisan.

I still think Obama is a Rational, but maybe he is like his hero, Abraham Lincoln: an Inventor Rational?
Within which edge of chaos are you?
User avatarUser Temperament
keirsey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Obama: What are the possibilities?

Postby ENFP123 on Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:12 am

Aren't Inventors generally not very ambitious in terms of leadership? It seems like Obama was into leading people early.
ENFP123

Postby eodbailey50 on Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:39 am

Ya know... I was really surprised to read on the "Obama Crystal Ball" blog that he was a mastermind. I'm new to the Keirsey theory, but not new to people and how they work, at all. I am an inventor according to the sorter; not at all a mastermind in my day-to-day instinctive function. I know a mastermind who is in my band and he plays guitar (Berklee grad). I am like night as he is like day; although we are both capable of the same sort of products due to our pragmatic driven thinking... Ben Franklin was an inventor according to this site and I would definitely agree with that! Ben Franklin led leaders and inspired the already inspired. Here's the differences of temperament in my eyes:

Mastermind: (Introverted and Organized) I don't think Obama is introverted at all. He speaks clearly and charismatically in front of the world, which shows he has a lot of practice. He signed up for the position of POTUS knowing the first black president would be in someone's crosshairs, which shows he is more confident than risk averse. In the portrait I read on the mastermind it says they are contingency motivated; always thinking of plan B and plan C. The mastermind I know personally is very real in his thinking and risk avoidance; not pessimistic at all, but more contingency minded. I don't think this is Obama...

Inventor: (Extroverted and Go-with-the-flow) I am like this because this is how I was made, so I'm pretty sure I'm not blowing smoke up anyone's @$$... Extroverted people are not always the "talkers". In-fact Introverts can talk A LOT. It's more of a question to the content and the setting... Extroverts will normally talk about their family and personal life to perfect strangers, they are not afraid that what and who they are might not be accepted. Extroversion can be seen in non-verbal gestures as well. Remember the middle finger scratch Obama gave Hillary Clinton??? Another fundamental difference is the inventor is absent minded "P", therefore kinda needs someone to clean up after them; I see that trait in Obama's wife to take care of his little messes and tell him where he left his wallet... You'd have to ask her about that one because I'm just guessing there.

About leadership: Hell, I've been telling people how to do things and adapting to their learning styles my whole life. The inventor is a natural at making sure his message gets communicated. Leadership isn't something an inventor (or any rational) strives to achieve for vanity reasons; however, leadership is something inventors can see is needed in certain situations and will gladly provide guidance. Everyone around me knows that I'm kind hearted and want to help people be their best, but they also know I won't hesitate to set someone straight... One key thing about the inventor is the "can-do" attitude. Obama's saying is "YES WE CAN!" He then showed his rational side by saying "I will listen to you; especially when we disagree." An inventor loves to debate and communicate effectively, won't hesitate to dance if no one else will, very playful and risk taking, attempt things seemingly impossible with only a rough draft and then with confidence ride the wave. While on the wave, an inventor will continue to gather information and if need be he will completely uproot his original idea once it is proven wrong. I don't think masterminds naturally handle being roasted in public very well either...

One last note: If you want to know what an inventor really is at heart, watch the new movie "Iron Man". This is a perfect portrait of a successful inventor. The problem with most inventors is that they can't leave well enough alone and they go through women because of this (if female is your preference). Sorry for the gender bias... When an inventor is left alone he can't get too far because he can't find even one of his ten tape measures. Then as he tries to find one he eyes about ten new projects or ideas, and he may even start working on another before the tape measure is ever found. This is why a solid, schedule driven mate is kinda needed... In the movie Iron Man you may notice Gwen Paltrow doing all this for him; however, I think he is so successful because he has an in-home computer system that does everything he thinks about. With the right support system you will see an inventor do some crazy $&*@ in order to blaze new trails...

I don't know Obama personally, so maybe one of you know things about him you can compare to what I've posted and show he is more a mastermind...??? I do feel strongly the differences between the two traits are like night and day though.
Last edited by eodbailey50 on Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I could learn to have patience, I might not have to re-invent the wheel every day...?
eodbailey50

Postby ENFP123 on Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:49 am

I think you might be assuming to much, all rationals can be good talkers in terms of their ability to communicate their intended meaning (I know a INTJ who I would say is the best talker I know). Also I would say that you can't discern certain aspects of someone's character by watching them "act" to gain a political position.
ENFP123

Postby eodbailey50 on Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:38 pm

ENFP123,

There are a lot of things I "can" do. There are more I can't... This blog is a place for people to bring up things that may give us insight. People come to this blog for any number of reasons (everyone is different). In my opinion, true idealists are not confrontational, nor do they actively make waves for the sake of turmoil; therefore they normally sleep on ideas about saying things that would put them on one side of the fence or the other. This type of behavior is normally an artisan impulse... I would like to challenge you to sleep on this Obama thing, do some research and intuitive pondering, then post some facts you think we all can use. If you think I'm "wrong", then prove it... I'll appreciate ya for it!!! Deal?
If I could learn to have patience, I might not have to re-invent the wheel every day...?
eodbailey50

Postby ENFP123 on Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:35 pm

I guess I'm not a true idealist then... :lol:
ENFP123

Postby fuzzynavelnot21 on Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:50 pm

I'm gonna put my thoughts in on this. :D

I'm an Idealist also so speaking from experience, I say yes, usually we are not confrontational. BUT.....we are passionate about things we hold very important to us....WHICH MEANS....we most definitely will stand up for a cause regardless if that means a confrontation (ie MLK Jr.). A true Champion Idealist does just exactly that. The don't HOPE for confrontation, but they will not sit on the sidelines of an issue they feel strongly about.

Haha, and did I just demonstrate my point? :D

Oh, and btw, I'm not commenting on Obama. I don't know nor have tried to know what type he is. Just making a comment on Idealist behavior.

Also...I have a thought on your ideas about I vs E. Again, I'm quite positive I'm correct on this, haha. :D I have a mother and a few friends who are perfect examples of I's that SEEM like E's. Being an introvert CAN mean you are quiet....but does not HAVE to mean this. The true difference in my observation is that Introverts must recharge by themselves because, after a time, people tax them. Extroverts are ENERGIZED by their interactions with others and do not require AS MUCH alone time to recharge. So introverts can be talkative and extroverts still need alone time BUT their more dominate traits are seen in how being around people affects them.
Last edited by fuzzynavelnot21 on Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed.-- Carl Jung
fuzzynavelnot21

Postby keirsey on Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:53 pm

Aren't Inventors generally not very ambitious in terms of leadership?

Yes, you are right. Generally is the word. On the other hand, Rationals are ambitious. Their ambition varies with their most natural role. The four roles: Preempting, Contending, Collaborating, Accomodating. The Collaborating Inventor Engineers concentrate on their systems. Most Inventors work with their engineering prototypes, their innovations, Nikola Tesla, being the best example -- not concentrating on the human elements of the problem. Walt Disney, an Inventor Rational was effectively a leader, and built organizations several times, which was centered around his innovations: film animations and theme parks. If politics and law is your niche, how does the Inventor Rational operate? That is the question. Is and how is Obama more similar to the Contending Masterminds like Eisenhower (a warrior), Hoover (an engineer), Grant (a warrior), JQ Adams (a lawyer and diplomat), and J. Adams (a lawyer) or is he more like Collaborating Inventor Rational like Lincoln (a lawyer).

For example, Obama cites Eisenhower's interstate highway system as a good example for investing in infrastructure. On the other hand, some people have suggested that Hilliary's appointment reminds them of Lincoln's Team of Rivals as Lincoln used his rivals in his cabinet. Observing Obama with those things in mind should give us more food for thought. Of course, I realize an Architect Rational like me, probably have these questions and models are rather too abstract and global for most people.
Within which edge of chaos are you?
keirsey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ENFP123 on Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:08 pm

If he does share a common type with Lincoln, for example, do you think we could expect similar kinds of goals or similar policy implementation methods? Or anything really... what could we get from knowing his temp?
ENFP123

Postby Goodrum on Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:23 pm

All very interesting...

*My first gut feeling was idealist, just couldn't shake that off for a while.

*Absolute novice on personality type, and don't even live in the same country as Barack Obama.
I would start with stripping down to what fundamentally informs my life, which is that I'm a seeker on the path...where I stand spiritually is, steadfastly, on a path about love.. (Bell Hooks)
Goodrum
Personologist
Personologist

Next

Return to David Mark Keirsey's Blogs